Charles Allard

Charles Allard (Charles Allard, Sr 1852-1896) was born Aug 29 1852 Gervais Oregon. He first married  Emerance Brown (1860 – 1887) She was the daughter of Emily (Gauche) Goetsche (aka Emily Pend d’Oreille & Sem-lem-tch or Tchlose, the daughter of Louis Pascal (le Gaucher) Kouilqaausi. Called a chief of the Upper Pend d’Oreille or Kalispel) and Louis Brun [Brown] a French-Canadian from Quebec.
She died at age 26 after having had six children, only two of which survived to adulthood. She married Louis Charles “Chi-cha-li” Allard in 1875 at age 14.

His second wife was Louise Courville, a tribal member on the Flathead Reservation, was born in Colville, Washington, a part Indian French Canadian. They had two daughters between 1892 and 1896. In 1897 she married Andrew Stinger and they had three children. Louise died in Ronan, Lake County, Montana.


Clinch Valley News , February 10th 1893

Besides the Omaha herd there are a few others in captivity, some kept for breeding purposes and others for exhibition. Mr. Charles Allard, in the Flathead Indian Reservation, has thirty-seven head.


The Anaconda Stanard  – January 29 1896

F. M. Corey, the man who is ‘believed to be a bogus government agent was arraigned this morning before United States Commissioner Smith and was placed under bonds to await examination next Tuesday, when United States Attorney Leslie will be here to conduct the examination.
Corey has retained Hal S. Corbett as his attorney. He sent this evening fo,r Charles Allard. at whose ranch he made his headquarters during the round-up. It is not known what he wants of Allard. but it is supposed that he has some papers and documents there.


Buffalo Meat is Good – Missoula, Dec. 31.-1896

On the day before Christmas, Charles Allard and Michel Pablo killed one of their herd of buffalo on the reservation. The creature was skinned and dressed and the meat was presented to the cheifs of the reservation tribes. There was a feast on Christmas day, such as has not been enjoyed on the reserve since the days when the shaggy buffalo roamed free over the rolling plains of the Flathead. The skin and skeleton of the buffalo were preserved and will be sent to some museum for mounting and exhibition.


The Anaconda Standard – March 31 1896

Charles Allard, the buffalo king, is in town to-day on a business trip. Mr. Allard is not recovering as well as his friends would desire from his recent injury to his knee.


The Ravalli Republican – June 3rd 1896

Charles Allard, of Ravalli, who was confined to the Sisters hospital more or less during the winter and spring, on account of an injured leg, is now
in Chicago at St. -Joseph’s hospital for treatment. He had an operation preformed May 29th  with satisfactory results so much so that he expects to return home fully Cured


While in Chicago seeking treatment for a leg injury. The injury was not treated in time and he died, he leaves his half to his heirs, many sold by them to US zoos and game farms. Some 150 head. Despite this, the herd now owned by Charles Allard Jr (1878-1930) and brother Joseph (1876-1964) 


The Anaconda Standard July 22 1896


The Owner of the Large Herd of Buffalo – He Died in Chicago

The sad news of the death of Charles Allard  was received here to-day. The death occurred this morning In the hospital at Chicago, where Mr. Allard had been for some time receiving the treatment of experts for an injury to his knee. The wound was received some months ago in a fall with a horse and the bone was so bruised that the trouble became serious and finally developed Into tuberculosis, which affected even the finger Joints.  Mr. Allard was one of the best known men of Western Montana. He w as best known throughout the state as the owner of the large herd of buffaloes on the reservation, in which he was Interested with Michael Pablo. He was about 42 years old and was the son of Joseph Allard, a Canadian Frenchman, and an Indian women. he was one of the best men on the reservation and was upright and honorable in all of his business.  He was heavily Interested in cattle and horses and had made some of the largest shipments that were ever made from this section. It Is not possible at this time to place any accurate estimate on the amount of his property, as he had so many Investments that his money is scattered about In several places.  He owned one of the finest ranches on the reservation and had made many extensive Improvements on
It.  He also owned a large herd of cattle and many horses. His buffalo herd Is now on the islands In Flathead lake. His remains will be sent to the
Mission for burial and the funeral will be held at ,St. Ignatius  church at the Mission Sunday afternoon. There will be a large attendance from thls city and Frenchtown. Mr. Allard leaves two sons, Joseph and Charles, who are young men. he had also a little daughter by his second wife. Charles, the younger son, was in Missoula when the sad news of the death of his father was received.


The Anaconda Standard July 28th 1896

Charles Allard Funeral

The funeral of the late Charles Allard was held at St. Ignatius Mission church yesterday , the venerable Father Daste preaching the funeral sermon. There was a large attendance of the friends of the dead man from all parts of the reservation and from Missoula and vicinity. There were nearly 1,000 Indians at the Mission.


Charles Allard Jr

The Anaconda Standard Nov 26 1899

Allard’s Famous Herd of Buffalos Snapped by Standard’s Camera.

“Dere’s tree bull,” said the guide. We looked in the direction that he indicated, and there, on the north slope of the Big Butte, were three magnificent buffalo bulls. They were half a mile distant and had not noticed our approach. Two of them were lying down and the third was standing with his head toward us, sleepy and indifferent. None of the rest of the herd were in sight. “De breeding time, she’s over and dese bull, he run alone,” explained Joe when we asked where the rest of the animals were. “But dass all right,” he continued, “de herd she’s not far.” Charles Allard Herd on the Res. 1899

We had driven 30 miles since breakfast from the hospitable home of Alex DeMers at St. Ignatius mission to the Allard ranch on Mud creek. The drive had been a pleasant one, though more than half of it was through a morning fog that was so dense that it was at times impossible to see beyond the heads of the horses. The road was along the foot of the splendid Mission range of mountains, crossing at frequent intervals the beautiful streams that make the Mission valley a paradise. We had passed Indian farms that loomed suddenly out of the fog and as suddenly disappeared, the stolid half breed on the front seat of our wagon pounding the cayuse team along at a rate that would have alarmed a man unaccustomed to the capacity of these little runts of horses. They kept up in their collars all the way and the 30 mile drive was made in three hours. Now and then we would meet an Indian rider who grunted a salutation to us as we emerged from the haze of fog and would look at us wonderingly as we swung along past him. From the yards and corrals of the Indian farms the cur dogs of the reserve would rush out at us, snarling and yelping. There was always something to break the monotony of the drive through the fog and it was not Irksome.Old Riley
As we neared Mud creek the fog lifted and the sun came out clear and bright. It was a good day for pictures and if we could find the buffalo the trip would be an interesting and profitable one. The cayuses made a final spurt and we swung up in front of the old Allard ranch, familiar to all who crossed the reservation in the old staging days. This was the feeding station in those days and here the Allard stages changed horses. There has been many a sharp race across the Mud creek flat between the big six-horse stages and the excitement was always high when the passengers were eating at Allard’s. The opposition stage would probably pass them there and that meant a hard chase up the hill to the divide that overlooks the Flathead lake. We changed horses here, too, and we also got dinner. With a fresh team and Joe Houlle at the lines we started, immediately after eating, to look for the herd. Joe knew where they were, he said, and we set out across the valley to the Big Butte, where we expected to find the buffalo.
The natural habitat of the buffalo more properly, the bison-was between the Allegheny mountains on the east and the foot of the Rockies on the west. It was not often that any of the big animals were found on the west side of the main range of the Rockies, and each year the Indians of the valleys that are now in Western Montana, Idaho and Washington made pilgrimage to the “Buffalo Country” for hides and meat. This annual buffalo hunt was one of the great occasions in the calendar of the Western Indian. It was attended with much pomp and ceremony and occupied often nearly a quarter of the year. It furnished the Indians with much of their winter meat and with skins for blankets and for tepees. The medicine men made their incantations: the chiefs exhorted their subordinates; the novitiate warrior frequently won his plume on these expeditions across the range. The buffalo Swellest Travel on the Reservation country was then the range in the eastern valleys of Montana and the pilgrimage across the mountains was an important event. Whole villages of the Indians traveled together and the sojourn in the valleys of Eastern Montana was exciting and full of danger. Bloody battles were often fought on these pilgrimages-encounters with hostile tribes who were on the same errand. But these dangers did not deter the Indians from making the trip. It was of too much importance to them. It meant meat and shelter and that was practically everything in those days.
Yet it is-in one of these valleys of Western Montana that the largest herd of buffalo extant now exists and thrives in its new surroundings. The Allard herd was started by Charles Allard, the well-known cattleman of the Flathead reservation, who died a few years ago. From a small beginning, by breeding and by purchase the herd has increased till it now numbers about 290 head. These buffalo have free range on the open pastures of the Mission valley, their favorite place being in the neighborhood of the Big Butte, a familiar landmark to those who have visited that portion of the reserve. The big animals do not range in one large herd, but divide into small bands, averaging about 25 to 40 head. These small bands are generally under the leadership of a big bull and the mastery of a herd is frequently the cause of a battle between two of these big fellows. Those who have seen these contests say that the struggles are magnificent in their exhibition of strength.
In the Mission valley and the lower Flathead valley these animals find a climate and forage that seems to be satisfactory, for they are breeding well and the herd is steadily increasing. Not all of the buffalo in the Allard herd are from the northern stock. In 1893 Mr. Allard purchased the famous Kansas herd of Buffalo Jones, which was brought to Montana and driven to the Flathead range. At that time the animals were exhibited in several of the larger Montana towns. Some of the Kansas buffalo had been partially broken to wagon and those who visited the buffalo show will recall the display of awkwardness that these “trained” buffalo gave at that time. In the Kansas herd, too, were some “cataloes,” as they are called-crosses between the buffalo and the range cattle.
These are homely creatures, neither buffalo nor cows, and did not seem to promise much for the attempt to produce a marketable animal from this system of cross re! ling. The experiment has been continued on the reservation, but it has not been very successful. There is now on an island in the lower Flathead lake a band of these half-breeds that numbers about 125, but they are not considered of much value, aside from being curiosities. They have not furry hides, nor is their meat of much value. Nowhere can the buffalo be studied to better advantage than in this herd on the Flathead reservation. There the animal is to be seen in almost a natural condition. He has a free range; the country. though not his own, is admirably adapted to his habits and he thrives there. The sight of this herd is no novelty to those old-timers who have seen bands that numbered hundreds of thousands, but to the man who has never seen a buffalo on the range, the visit is an extremely interesting one. The animals are sluggish and not as easily stampeded, perhaps, as those that used to roam at will on the Eastern prairies, but they are not at all as sociable and do not readily cultivate human acquaintances. As we approached these vagrant bulls on this afternoon, the problem was as to  whether or not we could get within shooting distance of them with the t camera. Joe Houlle said that this would be easy, but the half-breed driver who had accompanied us had his doubts C and expressed them freely.The Morning Drink


“You’ll see dass bull, he ran. Mebbe you get close dass bull he fight. Dass be bad, eh?” That would certainly be bad, but we accepted Houlle’s opinion as the correct one and the camera was unpacked and set up for action. Houlle 1 drove his horses to within 50 feet of 1 the big fellows and they paid no more attention to the team than to look inquiringly at it. One bull that was lying down arose lazily and another wallowed in the dust, but none of the four manifested any desire to leave. Then t it occurred to us that the half-breed’ prediction might have been the correct one and that the bulls were only getting ready to charge us when the
camera should be set up. But we hat to take the chances. Alighting on the farther side of the wagon, the camera was made ready and was focused upon the ungainly animals. Still they paid no attention to the camera or its operators. One exposure was made and then another. The buffalo seemed to like it. Then, emboldened by success, we approached to within 30 feet of the big fellows. They looked curiously at us, but that was all and we made some more pictures. It was easier than photographing Indians and the buffalo did not ask for copies of the picture. We were able to get within 30 feet of the biggest bull in the bunch and he stood there like a trained model. He turned his head toward the camera and stood there like a statue till the shutter was dropped. He was the best subject that we found.
When we had made half a dozen pictures of these big animals we set out to find the larger band. Houlle was certain that we would find them somewhere around the Big Butte. We had seen them there two days before and was sure that they had not left that part of the valley. So we drove around the Big Butte. We looked at it from the north, the south, the east and the west, but we found no buffalo. “Dass funny,” said the half breed, and Houlle said that he thought that it was funny too, but he didn’t look as if he spoke the truth. We drove about 20 miles over the prairie following cattle trails most of the way, hunting for those buffalo.

Houlle’s stag hounds followed us ranging here and there for signs of coyote. This photograph business was too much for them. They could only imagine that we were after coyote and yet the wagon was a queer thing to chase coyotes in. Still they ranged and, on the south Elope of the butte standing on a ridge overlooking a runway to the river, the half-breed spied one of the sneaking beasts. He showed the animal to Houlle and the latter hallooed to the hounds. They were off like bullets and the coyote took the hint. He settled down to business It was well that he did. The yellow stag hound, Dewey by name, ran like a quarter horse. His black companion trailed him closely and then ensued as pretty a chase as anybody ever witnessed. The coyote did his best and hunted the other side of the butte. It was useless to attempt to follow with the heavy wagon and the hounds, discouraged by the absence of their master, relinquished the chase, after having given the wolf a run of three miles. Mr. Coyote escaped, but the incident served to cheer up Houlle who took up the search for the buffalo in better humor than he had manifested for an hour. But he constant ly lamented the fact that the hounds had not killed the coyote. He would have had a dead wolf if he had only brought along a saddle horse. That was all that the dogs needed.
While he was thus lamenting he espied the buffalo, a band of 50 or more. They were slowly working their way up from the lower valley, where they had been for water, and were bunched when we saw them, on the slope of the butte that we had passed an hour before. In this band were a few bulls, a lot of cows and a number of calves. The presence of the calves made the cows a little shy and we did not have as good success in approaching them as we had with the solitary bulls. Still, they were not alarmed by the camera. Whenever it was set up for action the tows would crowd their youngsters into the middle of the band so that it was not easy to get a view of the bunch that would show the little fellows properly. We walked around with the team as a screen and the buffalo posed till we had all the pictures that we wanted. The half-breed Insisted that we took too long a chance and his frequent yells of warning, given whenever he saw a quick movement on the part of any of the herd, disturbed the animals more than anything that the camera did. The herd moved slowly, so that we were able to secure several excellent pictures of this bunch. Finally, when we had but one plate left, we sent, the half-breed around the bunch with instructions to yell and wave his coat. He did this and the herd broke into a lumbering gallop. The camera was leveled upon them as they sped pest and a snap was taken. It did not result very satisfactorily. The figures were distinct enough, but too small. That was the only failure that we had in all the plates. On the brow of the slight hill that lay back of us, the herd stopped and looked back to see if the half-breed was still after them. Seeing that he had desisted, the buffalo stopped and watched us move away.
We were 13 miles from the Allard ranch and the sun was getting low. Houlle turned his horses toward Mud creek and we bumped over the rough prairie at a rate that threatened the demolition of the camera and the destruction of the members of the party. But Houlle knew the country and, just at dusk we pulled up at the ranch once wore. Trowbridge packed up his machine while the team of the morning was being brought out, and in a few minutes we were on the road back to the mission. Those cayuses did even better than they had done in the morning, and in less than three hours we were back at the De Mers table eating supper.
The pictures that are given on these pages are the results of that 80 miles of ride over the reservation. There are many things that are much more difficult than photographing buffalo. There are, too, many places that are less satisfactory to visit than the pleasant valley where these buffalo range. The herd is soon to be divided in the partition of the Allard estate, and this is probably the last season that it will be seen in one band.





The Allard Herd.
Among the individuals who took an Interest in preserving the buffalo was
BUFFALO IN LOADING CORRALS.Buffalo in Loading Corrals
Charles Allard, who secured a few.animals and started a herd on the Flathead reservation near Ronan in the early eighties. He increased this herd by breeding and purchase to more than a hundred head in a few years. In 1893 he purchased the herd owned by “Buffalo Jones” of Kansas, and drove them across country to his herd on the Flathead. Accompanied by his family and riding in an old-fashioned barouche, he followed the herd across plain and mountain until the members of the band were safely delivered on the reservation In Montana. This herd consisted of full-blooded and half-breed animals. The latter were products of cross-breeding with cattle, but they did not prove to be desirable  animal, having all the undesirable and none or the good qualities of either ancestor. The mongrels were separated from the blooded animals, and the latter were permitted to range in a wild state on the reservation. They thrived and the herd grew until it numbered almost 800.